Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Shinzen 10 mile, 5 mile, 2 mile run/walk

Woodward Park is one of my favorite places to run an event.  Since coming back home to the Central Valley, I have been trying to make a point of signing up for all local events, no matter how big or small.  When I saw this one, I knew I had to take part.  I had originally signed up for t 5 miler, but knew with my left foot still recovering from my Texas size blister, there was just still no way without re-injuring it.  My left quad was also feeling a little discomfort, so I decided to play it safe and do the 2-miler.

I emailed the contact listed about a week before the event, asking permission to drop down.  The reply was to just let them know when I picked up my stuff.  The volunteer handing out bibs/shirts on race morning just looked at me blankly when I tried to tell him this, but I smiled and thanked him anyway. 

I looked around the finish for someone to tell but didn't see anyone so I headed out to the start line, but took some pictures of the awards before heading over.



While I didn't win any of these, I love that such a small event had so many beautiful awards.


At the start of the race in front of their sign.

While I didn't win any of the awards for fastest runner, I did do well for myself.  I have learned it is always about racing myself and having fun.  I met a new friend in the last 1/2 mile.  We helped to keep each other running strong to the finish, just wish I had gotten a picture with my new friend.  My finish time (according to my watch) was 24:35.  That means a 12:18ish for a per mile pace.  My pervious was 12:38 during a 5k so I was super happy!  Don't think it will be official, but I did let the timing guy at the finish line know, and he made note of my number. 

Well organized event.  Course was easily marked and there were plenty of cheerful volunteers and spectators.  I would highly recommend this one and would gladly do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment