Sunday, March 24, 2013

Beyond Limits Ultra 100mile, 50mile, 50k, marathon, and 24-hour


I never thought I would have considered a running around the block, let alone signing up for 26.2 miles.  I could not have asked for a better group of people to do it with.  Through sheer determination and the support of some great friends, I was able to make it (finish time was 8:44).  It started out rough as I had under estimated the distance from our hotel to the race and we didn't think we would have enough time to get there.  I hadn't slept well at all, was having congestion problems and wasn't able to breathe well enough to get much sleep.
 
I can only begin by saying thank you to Shane.  He is always there for me, believing in me even when I don't believe in myself.  He sat there quietly while I had my breakdown with 8ish miles to go.  He had just finished 31 miles himself, and yet was still there walking with me, trying to make sure I kept going.  I love you (for that and so many other things). 
 
Thank you to Tony (aka Endorphin Dude), you said you would help finish strong while I was still on the fence about even trying, and you were true to your word, spending all of my final lap encouraging me.  Thank also for making sure everyone was yelling for me as I crossed the finish line, with you being the loudest.  
 
 

I didn't believe Shane when he told me how funny I was as the RD Ken presented me with my age group award.  I only wish we had a video of it.  All I could keep saying was, "how can this be?"  I later learned there were 15 of us in the marathon that day.  While here were a couple of other 30-49 runners, they were in the top 3 overall, opening up age group for me!!  What a great way to break into the marathon world!


There were so many things happening for me that day.  I think I doubted myself even as I was crossing the start line.  I know I was doubting myself as I sat down and cried with almost 8 miles to go.  While the sunburn faded, my memories of that day will be with me always.  I have always know that stopping to help others is what is most important in this sport.  I will always have another race in which to PR again, but helping someone else feel successful is what keeps me coming back for more. 

RD's Ken and Stephanie are amazing.  Please check out their story at www.beyondlimtsracing.com  While I can't promise I will be back again next year, I know it is highly likely.  The course is perfect, you are constantly surrounded by others as you loop around the track.  If you wanted, you could stay on site in a camp like setting.  While I am not sure I want to experience that (due to flashbacks from 6th grade), I know I will be there next year even if it is just to cheer on my BLU running family! 

No comments:

Post a Comment