Monday, November 6, 2017

Two Cities Full and Half Marathon 2017

Every year I try and talk myself out of doing this race.  Then as early registration comes to an end, I jump in with both feet.  My training has been mostly non existent the last three years.  I have moments when I have a few days or even a few weeks when I am on track.  When I last ran a half marathon on August 27th, my wheels fell off around mile 7.  I was dealing with mental issues and extreme heat issues.  I knew by mile 9 that I was in trouble.  I had not packed the right fuel and with the high, unexpected heat, my body was fighting back.

I have been coaching cross country for the 5 weeks heading in to this event.  I was trying to get out and move with my runners as often as I could but I was dealing with breathing issues thanks to the bad air quality that I could just not shake.  I told myself I would run as long as I could towards the first mile and then I would turn on my gymboss interval timer (99 sounds of 60 seconds of walking with 30 seconds of running).  I knew this was a doable goal and would get me through about mile 10.  Once I got to the final 5k, it was all "downhill" from there.

When I left to pick up my bib on Saturday, my mom could see the worry in my face.  She asked me why I was so worried and said, "you know you can do this.  You just may have to change your plan on how to get it done."  And she was right.  I have been doing this long enough to know my body will finish the distance.  I have said it many times....Our bodies are awesome and amazing machines. 

My finish time in August was just shy of 4 hours, which should not have happened considering the relative ease of the course.  If this one could be around 3:30 I would be happy.  Ironically, this was my first sub-3 hour finish. 

When I got home Saturday night, I went about packing up all of the things I would need for in the morning.  I made both my water bottles up.  I packed my hydration pack with the Gu and Island Boost I may need.  I made sure there was extra Nuun along with some salt packets in the rear zipper of my OrangeMud double barrel hydration pack.  I set out my gear.  I have my Asics Cumulus, RoadID, gymboss, Zensah compression sleeves and socks and hat, along with my charged Fitbit.  I was as ready as I could be.

Thanks to my friend Lance who found me in the first mile, I was able to ignore most of the discomfort that came after mile 10.  I was able to mostly keep with all 99 rounds of my timer thanks to Lance. 

I would like to say I have some words of wisdom after running this but I don't.  I am taking the day after as a day of rest.  My only goal is to wake up Tuesday morning (2 days later) and get in a good solid workout.  If I can use this as the starting point to make a comeback.  My other promise to myself is to do a better job of keeping up with my blog again.  We shall see how all of it goes. 

A few pictures from the event.......

Flat me all laid out Saturday night.

With Lance on the course.  First time he went to take a picture I was about to tear in to a Gin-Gin. Should have let him take it, would have made a great picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment